Monday 11 June 2012

Dreaming of Karl!


My cherished sleep last night, was interrupted by a dream, a very unusual occurrence for me, and one of giant significance because Karl Lagerfeld visited my slumber! I was moving into an apartment in Paris when a bunch of past students walked down the hall of the apartment block to welcome me to Paris. In view of them all, my neighbours door opened and it was Karl (Circa 1990's). He wafts into my new digs, picks up my stuff and sprouts forth with flattery about my exquisite taste, and how it's been so long since he's seen me, and the time is right for me to be in Paris now because the Ecole De La Chambre Syndicale De la Couture is in shambles and needs a visionaries touch...(not suggesting I'm up to that job by any means, readers...but that is the Fashion school in Paris run by the organization which determines your "Couture-ability" and abilty to be involved in the French fashion weeks etc.) Of course, the sense of pride and the thrill of the excitement at being Karl's neighbour, woke me up, and the story ends there! Or does it?

You see, I've always thought my couture guardian was Yves St Laurent, and when he passed, it became Jean Paul Gaultier (I adore the l'enfant terrible image!) But now I wonder, could it have been Karl all along, and I've ignored him? Interesting also to consider that the role of couture has been a little low on my list lately, busy with "do good" projects and ignoring that giant machine which fuels the mainstream of the fashion industry. Sustainability and couture have seemed to be on collision course for sometime, but perhaps there is a strong link? Perhaps the handmade, slow style of couture making is really the solution to a sustained and respectful role for fashion in the twenty first century. Perhaps it places the woman who wears the clothes back in central focus?

I ask these questions as I read more about the fractured sense of self that contemporary women feel is portrayed in media and entertainment, this very notion of post modern pastiche where our clothes come from here and there, a different look each day- therefore could we be a different person each time we change clothes? Couture gives such a clear message doesn't it? You wear your designer with pride, you hang your hat on the Champes-Elysees and all can see where your loyalties lie, what you represent, not a mish mash of disposable fast fashion trends bought for under $50 and destined for land fills around the world by next year. Now I'm not suggesting that we can all afford couture, but I think some of it's its principles should be re-introduced to contemporary culture?  What do you think?

"The best thing you can do is dive in with your imagination, you can never drown yourself" Karl Lagerfeld
See Karl speak here!

Also included a link to the LA Times article about Karls cat, who has a maid and iPad...
http://www.latimes.com/business/money/la-fi-mo-chanel-karl-lagerfeld-cat-20120608,0,4159766.story

Photo:http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/Pm3aVe7WqPr/Chanel+Runway+Paris+Fashion+Week+Spring+Summer/UFN4jBospX8/Karl+Lagerfeld

2 comments:

  1. The notion of clothing (or furniture even more so) being in and then out of fashion is very wasteful. I like beautiful things...textures, patterns, quality workmanship, colours. For me fashion has more to do with the purchasing (if something is in fashion it is more available) than the wearing which is all about how it makes you feel on any given day. I am a bit anti-image.
    I definitely don't want to make the same statement every day because I don't feel the same way every day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your point about changing each days statement is great. They say if you've had your haircut the same way for 5 cuts, it's time to change...my goodness! I can't keep it the same for 2 cuts in a row!

    ReplyDelete

Creative Crip Interview It was such a pleasure to discuss the creative industries with writer, speaker, appearance advocate (and in my opini...